Healing

An hour after surgery                             48 hours after surgery

Our little peanut has been a real trooper since being discharged Tuesday morning. She drifted in and out of sleep all of Tuesday but by Wednesday morning I was able to coax her into walking down to the dining hall for breakfast. She really was not wanting to walk around or be seen outside of our room (she has swelled considerably and is always so self-conscious of her incision and drain). I bargained with her that if she would walk to breakfast I would carry her back. As we stepped onto the elevator there stood another mom and Josie automatically turned to face the back of the elevator as not to be seen. As we stepped off the elevator onto our floor I gently reminded Josie that all of the kids here are trying to get better and that if anyone looks at her it is either out of curiosity or concern (just like she had been with the kids when we first arrived here). Josie nodded like 'yeah mom, whatever' and reluctantly walked with me into the dining room. After she realized she wasn't going to be a spectacle in the dining room she very proudly made the return walk to our room without being carried. She has since marched without hesitation to check our mail, attend kid activities, meals, etc. I really can't say enough good things about the Ronald McDonald House, it has been a great comfort to heal here. I think for the rest of my days I'll hold this place near and dear to my heart.

Thank you to all of you who have sent cards and letters to Josie, checking the mail has quickly become her favorite part of the day. Below is a picture taken this afternoon after Josie checked our mailbox. She proudly declared that she has "never had this many cards before" and grinned from ear-to-ear as she opened them all up. 

Comments

Popular Posts