Next Steps . . . Ortho-what???
We were sent home from New York with the good (and scary) news that Josie gets to have her next surgery at home. We were given instructions to find a good maxillofacial surgeon that can perform an orthognathic surgery (Josie's upper and lower jaw-bone is over-grown due to her tumor so this surgery will correct that). I think it is so stressful shopping for a great surgeon and I shared my concerns with Dr. O before we left NY. She assured me that they would give the final blessing in our selection and that has given us a little more confidence in this whole doctor shopping process.
We decided to start our search by talking with our pediatric dentist and from his suggestions we now have two doctors that we will be meeting with in the coming weeks. Our first appointment will be at the University of Iowa next week and then the following week we will meet with a doctor in Des Moines. Once we have selected a surgeon, Josie will most likely have surgery this summer.
Josie will have to undergo another MRI at some point this summer, they will be looking for any sign of re-growth in the tumor. If there isn't any significant growth, and once the orthognathic surgery is behind us, Josie could technically begin the reanimation procedures at anytime. I find myself constantly trying to look ahead and guess what will be best for Josie (that's the planner in me) and all the while I know what experience has taught us . . . we just need to cross one bridge at a time. Always easier said than done. So that is where we are right now and that is where I'll leave you.