November

One year ago today Josie and I had made our first big trip to New York City to meet with Dr. Waner and his team. I was so intimidated by the thought of making that trip alone with Josie, little did I know how many trips we'd end up making over 2012 or how much our family would grow to love that city. It's really sad to see the the shape New York is in right now. I can't help but wonder how things will be when we head back in March.

I have to admit that I have slacked on my blog posts for Josie since her last surgery. After a year of having our constant focus be on the next surgery, I guess I just needed the mental break from thinking about it all. I don't know how I compare to other parents in similar situations, but I feel like I lost myself a little this past year. I was always charging forward, always had my eye on the prize but there weren't too many times that I remember laughing or feeling light-hearted. Of course I celebrated in the milestones and felt grateful beyond words but I never realized how heavy my burden was until it was lifted. I know a lot of it was just something we had to go through and face because it was our journey to take but God help me I will walk a little lighter in 2013.

To bring everyone up to speed with Josie, she will be facing two surgeries (at the least) in the upcoming year. The purpose of the two surgeries will be to make Josie's smile whole. The first of the two will happen in March during her spring break. A nerve will be grafted from her leg and placed in her face. The second surgery will be scheduled for mid-summer. During this procedure a muscle will grafted from her leg and placed in her face, a little more of the tumor will be removed from her lower cheek as well. This is the simplest I can explain two not-so-simple procedures.

Below are a few current pictures of Josie. While we think she looks amazing what we are proudest of is how well she is doing in school. We had our first parent/teacher conference this week and according to her teacher she has many little friends that she runs around with and actually shoos her brother away at times. She is really stepping out on her own and becoming such an independent little lady. 




Comments

Popular Posts