Surgery #6

It's been 5 months since Josie's last surgery and updating her blog has been on my to-do list for at least 3 of those months. I've always been one that works better under a deadline I guess.

So let me dive in and start with her progress. Before each of Josie's surgeries I find myself thumbing through old posts & pictures for motivation. I think her pictures speak volumes and they are a valuable reminder of how far she's come. Below is a picture of Josie from 3 years ago, just before her first surgery.

November 2011
Prior to Surgery #5 in June


Today, look how far she's come!!!

Another bit of progress that I'd like to share; since birth Josie has had more MRI's than I can remember. For all of those scans (with the exception of one when she was 2 months old and slept through it) she has had to be sedated in order to keep her still for scans. Sedation is such a nerve-wracking process for both Josie and Dave and I. With Josie's recent MRI she bravely (through a few tears) climbed onto the MRI table and laid patiently through 45 minutes of scans without sedation! I was so incredibly proud of her and I could tell she was pretty pleased with herself as well. This was such a huge milestone for her; it means no more fasting after mid-night, waking up sick and cranky from sedation, and sitting in the recovery room waiting to feel well enough to go home. I asked Josie what she thought about for those 45 minutes she was in the MRI machine and she sweetly said "I thought about my friends and what they were doing in school".

So what's next? Josie and I will fly out early next Wednesday for New York and surgery will be Thursday, Nov. 20th. We won't find out her surgery time until next Wed. This surgery will focus on removing the tumor that is on her forehead. Her doctors explained that this procedure will be "easy" in comparison to past surgeries as there isn't a major nerve to work around. Her incision will be a zig-zag cut in her hair above her forehead.  We've been told that we'll never see a scar from her incisions and if I'm remembering right she shouldn't have a noticeable amount of hair shaved for her incisions.

Josie is feeling pretty apprehensive about this surgery as the last one is still pretty fresh in her mind. Please pray for her to stay healthy for surgery (there are so many bugs going around school right now), for her strength and peace of mind, to guide her doctors hands, and for our safe travels. Until next week....


Comments

  1. Erin - thank you for keeping us updated. Josie! Your pictures are awesome, and you are sure growing up to be a beautiful young lady. We will be keeping you in thought & prayer this week. You know that God has you right in the palm of His hand!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts